Saturday 22 May 2010

Talking Of 70's Number 1's.....

... or songs that should have been number 1. What about that beautiful tune 'Haitian Divorce' by Steeley Dan? I used to love this song in the 70's, used to almost bring tears to my eyes. (Maybe cause it sounded kind of sad at times) But even though I absolutely loved the song, I didn't quite get all of the lyrics. And if anyone out there did know them, I wonder if anyone actually understood their meaning?

'Babs and Clean Willie were in love they said
So in love the preacher's face turned red
Soon everybody knew the thing was dead
He shouts, she bites, they wrangle through the night
She go crazy
Got to make a getaway
Papa say

CHORUS:
Oh - no hesitation
No tears and no hearts breakin'
No remorse
Oh - congratulations
This is your Haitian divorce'

Well, I really don't care what the lyrics were about, that was, (and still is) an absolutely beautiful tune. Top points to Steeley Dan!

0 comments: